Grandma Miller's Hats

Years ago when my children were newborn babies, we didn’t leave the house without putting a baby hat or cap on them.  We were so afraid that they would get chilled and catch a cold.  Baby hats or toddler hats were usually handmade out of soft crocheted or knitted yarn.  I remember the one my grandmother made for Lisa, our first daughter….Grandma was from Denmark and did a lot of knitting for the grandbabies in her family.  When we were ready to bring Lisa home from the hospital, grandma was there with a dainty pink hat knitted with very tiny knitting needles.  It fit over her head and covered her ears… actually it was closer to a skull cap.  It had a little puffball on top and Lisa looked so cute in it.  
Grandma Miller has been gone for many years and the knitted hats she made for our babies are only memories.  I really hate seeing many new mothers carrying their babies around just wrapped in a blanket…nothing to keep their heads warm.  Plus, their little toes are peeping out of the blanket…what! No booties!   The babies are bundled up pretty well in winter, but as soon as they enter a store, off comes the blanket.  Hellooo, some stores are drafty and in summer, there's air conditioning to worry about.
I guess the lack of baby and toddler hats isn’t as important in many areas, but we live in the Midwest….spring and autumn can be chilly and winter downright cold.  It makes me feel like saying to the mom “your little one should have a hat to keep her head warm”…..since I don’t know what kind of reaction that would bring, I keep my feelings and thoughts to myself.

No comments: